Monday, August 25, 2008

Backpack trip review

I've been back from the Sierras for about a week now and I'm still having fantastic memories of the trip...for many reasons.

The first is that the group of guys was so good. We all knew each other from church and had at least some type of relationship with one another going in. Plus all 4 of us were experienced backpackers so I really didn't have to hold anyone's hand. We all pitched in and did whatever needed to be done around camp.

Second, I saw stuff on this trip I'd never seen on a trip before. The first thing was a woman, probably in her 20's, dressed completely in camoflage with green camop makeup on and a bow and arrow. She, her boyfriend and 2 other older men were going deer. hunting. I also saw moredeer on this trip than any other...probably about 10 inclduing one who came into camp in the night. Also a water snake. Not one of thoe skinny ones with a yellow or oragne strip but a bi one about the width of a garden hose, if not thicker.

The weather was also warmer than I'd ever, ever seen on a trip. I'd brought a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt and a long-skleeved shirt for warmth. None of them ever made it out of the pack. It was t-shirt and short pants even in the middle of the night!

I did have some new boots which were tough to break in, causng me to get blisters for the first time in many years. But they are gone now and the boots are properly broken in right now. The clothes are clean, the pack is put away but I'm ready for the next big adventure!

No comments: