Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A story about Zach

About 10 years ago or so, ZAch went on his first backpack trip. It was the infamous (according to Matt) Kibble Ridge Expedition. Matt and Bryguy came up to my place in Wanlut Creek for dinner and to go shopping at REI for camping stuff. I do remember that we had dinner at Fuddruckers. When we went to REI I told Zach that where we were going had no water and that he needed to pack in water for the weekend.

WHen we got to REI, Zach was looking at all the portable water containers, the 5-gallon size and the 3-gallon size. At one point he came up to me and asked how many of them he needed to bring. Remember, water is 8 lb per gallon.

About that time either Bryguy or Matt took me aside and asked me how long I was going to continue this charade with Zach. I said all the way up until he got in the checkout line.

Zach was an excellent backpacker and he was always a joy to have on such a trip. Matt, however, was another story. Mayber I'll tell that one tomorrow.

No comments: