Thursday, October 9, 2008

Business very slow but bank secure

Forbes magazine has said that Westamerica Bank is one of the 3 safest in the country. Comforting to hear in times like these. But things are rough business-wise. I've had several dealerships close in the last 3 months, including my best dealer. Colma Buick in Daly City sent me 15 loan contracts in September and then closed the door on Oct 1. Evidently those 15 loans wee about every car they sold.

I'm not concerned about my job, though. By all accounts Westamerica needs their auto department. It's the only part of the bnak where they can turn on the sales volumne or turn it off on a weekly basis, based on interest rates. That doesn't work with deposits, commercial or real estate loans. If we were to lower our interest rate 1/2 point, business would come flooding in. At the same time if we raised it 1/2 point, it would dry up. This in integral to what Westamerica does and we're not going anywhere.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I have a friend looking for work. MBA (finance), CFP, real estate insurance and stock broker, his business just dried up and dissapeared in the last six months. If I get his resume to you could you put it into a hiring manager's hands?