Thursday, December 18, 2008

Post-Mammoth reflections

I've recevied a lot of suypportive emails since I posted yesterday about Mammoth and also sent an email out to a bunch of friends. My friend Matt had some interesting questions which I would like to vreflect on.

He asked me first about planting my own church. I've never thought of myself as a church planter. Being an evangerlist is not in my pastoral DNA as much as it is in some others. So I can't really seeing this happen in an intentional way. But there is always the chance that something like this could happen with God working on it and I being unaware of it. I think that vwith a little spiritual elbow grease George and I could have turned out Bible study in the late 90's into a church.

I donj't have a certain church size in mind. The Mammoth church was about 75 or so. There are probably a lot of smaller churches that are looking for pastors but there is always the issue (even though it should not be a reason to go into ministry) of whrther a church that size would bre able to pay enought for out family to live decently in the surrounding community.

I think perhaps that God might have something out there that I'm not contemplating (it ain't Orthodox, though...give it up ). I don't know what that might be. We're going to see what happens in the next couple of months as we begin to make preparations to rent out this house and maybe buy a bigger one elsewhere.

No comments: