Saturday, June 23, 2007

Let me tell you about last night's dinner

I had'nt really cooked a lot recently, so I decided to go a bit overboard last night. Seemed like a good time to do it and Christa really appreciated it.

Of course it started with my Friday night martini (1 and 1 only a week) I steamed some asparagus and set it aside to cool. I served it with a tarragon vinaigrette. The secret to the dressing is that you must use champagne vinegar. A bit pricey, but well worth it. I also roasted some potatoes with an onion olive oil mix and they of course were fantastic.

The best of course was the filet mignon. I made a mushroom ragout to go on top. It had (of course) mushrooms, garlic, a little red wine and heavy cream. Saute it all together for awhile until it reduces. Serve it over the filets.

I've learned a new secret for cooking steak, and it's the only way I will do it now. I took the filets and pressed in some salt and pepper on one side only and then cooked it for 5 minutes on 1 side in a cast-iron pan (the pan is one of the secrets) I then finished it off by roasting it in the over for about 10 min at 450 degrees. Sublime. Of course, there was the bottle of Merlot also.

No comments: