Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Religious persecution at work

Hard to believe, but I am on the receiving end of some religious persecution at the bank. I am bi-vocational, working both at Bay Hills Community Church and THe Mechanics Bank. My colleague at the bank, a man named Jerry, is about as anti-religous as they get. In the last week or so, he has delighted in making any snide comment about religion. Not even attempts at any type of humor or joke...just out and out mean.

Here are 2 examples. "hey Jeff, do you know where the nearest Hooters is?" I replied that I didn't and was wondering why he asked me. He said, "Because most of them are located in the Bible belt, so I thought you would know."

Second example. We are both looking at loan applications on Monday morning. Jerry pipes up and says, "Here's one that we should turn down. It's a minister. Matter of fact, the first loan I ever did here which turned out to be a repossession was a minister."

1 comment:

Matt said...

Reminds me of when I worked at www.sfweekly.com . A woman found out that I was a Christian and would not leave me alone. She would come into my cube and say "So you think I'm going to hell" and other things that she hoped would start an argument. Interestingly, my boss, who was a witch but still a very nice woman, fired her for religious harrassment.