Thursday, June 14, 2007

Living Hesed

I suppose the first thing to do is say a bit about what this title means and where this particular blog will be going. I had a previous blog named 'postcards from the word', but I gave up on it. For one thing, I coulnd't log onto it for some reason, even though my passwords were valid. It was becoming a bit trivial at the end anyway. I had lost my way, to an extent. So be it.

So here it is. What is hesed? Brian Morgan of Peninsula Bible Church has said that it is the key to understanding the Old Testament. If one understands hesed, one understands the Old Testament. The best translation is probably either 'loyallove' or 'lovingkindness'. In either case, it is a description of how Yahweh dealt with Israel. Always through hesed. This is also the way in which The Lord deals with His children today, on the basis of lovingkindness and loyallove. We see it over and over again in the Old Testament in the stories of Israel and the great heroes of faith. We see it in the New Testament through the actions of Jesus, the early church and also it is strongly written about in Paul's letters.

This blog is called 'Livinghesed' because that is what I do and desire to do everyday. It is what I do because I am under God's protection. In essence I am living in the midst of hesed everyday of my life. But the other half is important also. I also want to live as a conduit of hesed in the lives of others everyday. I want to be one who acts towards others with loyallove and lovingkindness.

So here we go

No comments: