Monday, January 14, 2008

Frustration with pastoral search

It's been a year now that I have been looking for a full-time pastoral position. I had another one fall through today which looked good at a church in Chowchilla. Virtually the same reason...not enough experience.

My frustratin level is beginning to increase. Am I doing something wrong? I know without a doubt that God called me to be a pastor, but it seems as if I am only running up against roadblocks. Even while prayng tonight, I was doing some venting towards God (it's okay to do that...ask Jeremiah).

So I wonder which direction to turn. Do I just redouble my efforts? But then again it isn't about me. Will someone just come along and hire me like my current job did? Just out of the blue? I hold on to that vision which God gave me almost 10 years ago, that He was calling me into full-time ministry. I know that is what I am called to do, ultimately.

1 comment:

Matt said...

two things to consider...

1. look for a church that isn't getting a lot of offers from potential pastors. You will probably have to move out of your comfort zone and take a pastorate at a small strugling aging inner-city or isolated-rural church. remember, the average church size i the US is only 40 people.

2. Paul was called to full time ministry but was content to work as a tent maker. My ada was called to the full time ministry but worked as butcher so he could afford to keep preaching. If you are expecting preaching to support you financially you probably going to be disappointed.