Sunday, January 6, 2008

My first exposure to Calvinism

The first time I was exposed to Calvinism was probably about 1991 or so. I was part of a singles group at Mariners church in Newport Beach. There ws a guy in this group who wanted to do a Bible study on Calvinism and predestination, so he invited myself and about 5 other people to his home for such a study.

I was a younger believer then and not as well trained in the world of theology and Biblical studies as I am today. Everything that was said in this study made perfect sense and I found myself completely in agreement with everything that this particular gentleman was teaching. It seemed I was a devout Calvinist through and through.

But later I decided that I had a rather large issue with his methodology(the same problem I have with most people who strongly espouse a Calvinist point of view). His methodology consisted of a theology which was already developed and then he found Scripture to support it. He did not begin with Scripture but rather with theology. This is the completely wrong way toi approach not only Calvinism but any particular theological viewpoint.

The beginning is not with a presupposition but rather with Scripture. Our theology is to begin with Scripture and then develop into theology, not to begin with our own theology and try to find Scripture to back it up. Even my own friends who are Calvinists take this theological perspective. Theology first and Scripture after. The absolute wrong way to do it.

No comments: