Monday, January 7, 2008

Where ministry happens

Ministry often happens sideways. Not from the top (professional clergy) but from those in the trenches. Great example of this last night.

With my small group ministry at BayHills, we have a meeting once a quarter to go over what will be happening with small groups the following quarter. Last night was such a meeting. For this quarter, I've recruited about 5 new small groups. One of them will be co-led by a woman named Betty, whose sole qualification for being a small group leader is the fact that she loves people, and this is evident to all those around her. I'm not really looking for strong leaders for small groups, but rather those with a heart for oeple, who will come next to others and lift them up.

In the middle of the meeting last night, Betty said, "I've never led a small group before. How do I do it?" At that point, all I had to do is sit back and listen. It was not my place right then. I let the other leaders jump in and encourage her. See, being a pastor is not always about taking the lead, but rather creating conditions in which ministry can occur. The other leaders did a much better job than I could have, because they were coming from a parallel position (also leading groups) I believe Betty was greatly encourage by this ministerial outpouring. I'm looking forward to what God will do in her group.

1 comment:

Matt said...

That was St. Nicholas' sole qualification, too. Everything else, miracles, theology, suffering through torture, flowed out of love.