Thursday, March 13, 2008

Getting away with the minimum

I'm starting to do some reading and studying of the prophet Malachi (the Italian one). Even at the beginning I'm running across something that Malachi dealt with in terms of Israel's religious behavior that we deal with today.

Getting away with the bare minimum and hoping that it is pleasing to God. The Israelites were bringing animals to sacrifice at the temple which were blind, lame or deficient in some obvious manner. The Pentateuch clearly states that the animals brought were to be the pick of the litter, the finest that could be had. But here they are bringing the leftovers.

Their attitude? I'm sacrificing at the temple just as I should. What's wrong with that. They didn't even know it was an issue, they were so blind. Why would God not be happy with this animal with 3 legs? At least I'm bringing it.

Fast forward 2500 years or so. How many Christians in how many churches try to get bywith the bare minimum? I'll come to church on Sunday. Pray a little during the week. Maybe drop something in the offering bucket every couple of months or so. Isn't that what God wants? The same minimalist attitude that Malachi rebuked so harshly is still prevalent among our churches today.

1 comment:

Matt said...

My Opinion: The major cause of minimalism is bad preaching.