Monday, March 17, 2008

Tahoe trip with Caleb

Caleb and I spend the weekend at lake Tahoe sledding in the snow. My friend Chris came also and brought his son Will (nicknamed Maui and he won't let anyone call him anything else) who is about 4 months younger than Caleb.

On Caleb's first run down the sledding hill (him in front and me in back), we wiped out, flipped over and Caleb ended up with his face covered in snow. He immediately said that he was cold, wanted to go home and didn't ever want to see snow again. Well, that lasted about 3 minutes. Then it was back up the hill.

We learned earnly on that when Caleb was in the front of the sled, we would wipe out and he would have his face covered with snow (The Abominable Caleb). So we switched positions so that I got the faceful of snow every time. But we didnt wipe out again.

We ended up leaving a little earlier than maybe we wanted to on Sunday. Maui and his dad had a couple of pretty bad wpeouts back-to-back and that kinda soured him on doing anymore sleddding.

It was fun to watch them wipe out. It reminded me of the old Road Runner cartoons. When the coyote would fall off a cliff, he would get smaller and smaller until you saw just a little puff of smoke as he it bottom. So it was with Chris and Maui. They would be sledding and getting smaller and smaller down the hill when all of a sudden I'd see a little puff of snow near the bottom. Yep, they wiped out again.

I enjoy these weekend times with Caleb. We did the snow trip last year also. I want to take him camping this summer also. I wanted to do a quick backpack trip with him, but we might not be around the Sierras this summer to do that.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Two words: Ice fishing