Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Upcoming backpack trip

With 2 small children at home, backpacking has been a rare phenomenon the last few years. I used to go twice a year or so, but since 2003, when Caleb was born, I've only gone 3 times. But that will end in August when i take off for my first 4 day trip in quite a few years.

We're doing the famous Union-to-Spicer route which has become one of my favorites. Old Boy Scout territory and a gorgoues hike as well. It's about 7 miles in or so and we will layover for 2 nights. The Dardanelles are on the other side of the lake where we will camp at Spicer. The Dardanelles are the remnants of an extinct volcano but what is left is darkly beautiful. There are also a couple of other small lakes in the area for dayhikes and the fishing at Spicer is pretty good as well.

Kevin Bixby will be coming from Southern California and bringing his 2 teenage sons. What a treat to be able to spend 4 days with one of my best friends!! Paul Dietrich,Kim Mack and possibly Chris Bradshaw and Jim Hankins from Bay Hills will also be coming. I'm always somewhat selective on who I invite to such a trip. It's gotta be someone that I can put up with in the mountains for 3 days or so. This group will go together well and will have a good time together.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Sounds like fun. Are you doing the egg thing again?